Getting your stream listed on iTunes is a bit more involved process than most of the other directories, and they are really strict on making sure the grammar is correct. So please ensure when you are submitting your stream to iTunes to get listed that you follow the below instructions and guidelines to the “T” to avoid any delays or problems.
Submission Guidelines to Get Listed on iTunes
- Streams that consist of playing music require a bitrate of 128kbps or higher.
- Streams with spoken words such as News/Talk, Sports Radio and non-music Comedy using AAC/AAC+ are accepted at a bitrate or 64kbps and higher.
- iTunes supports the following streaming formats: .m3u, .mp3 and .pls. IP addresses (with these format streams) are also acceptable which is provided with your CastHost.net streaming account.
- Streaming formats .asx, .wma, .qtl and other various formats are not compatible and should not be submitted.
- Only one bitrate and one genre can be submitted per station therefore if you have split up your stream for online & mobile bitrates, you will need to choose one to submit.
- You must use your actual stations names. Use of a different name in order to be listed higher or twice in the directory will be rejected.
- To get listed on iTunes, attach your cover art to your submission form which is 3000×3000 pixel JPG or PNG image using RGB color space at 72 DPI.
- Station names, descriptions, and URLs may be edited to conform to iTunes editorial and technical standard
If you have already sent new submissions or updates, they will be processed within approximately 5 business days.
TO ADD, EDIT, OR TROUBLESHOOT YOUR LISTING
Use one of the three subject lines bellow when emailing iTunes:
- Station Submission: (station name) (ex: Station Submission: Hits Radio)
- Station Update: (station name, exactly as it appears in iTunes)
- Other Inquiry: briefly state issue here
For faster service and to make things easier for iTunes, it is recommended to forward all update requests at within one email. Attach the information in an Excel document if there are more than three updates.
Requests will only be accepted from the contact on file for the station or a station owner. Requested will not be accepted if the requesting party is not listed.
Official iTunes Excel Spreadsheet
Find the official iTunes submission excel spreadsheet at the following link:
*These fields have been pre-populated in the spreadsheet for your convenience. Anything that is not listed within the drop-downs will not be accepted.
Station Name (Must be your official station name if you would like to get listed on iTunes)
Country of Origin (country code)
Short station description (to be shown in tuner)
*Explicit material? (Y/N)
*Frequency (select 23)
Website for station (include full URL, beginning with http://www)
*Approved (select Yes)
Contact name, email, phone number and iTunes Store login account/email address
*Status (select Active)
*Strength (select 45)
Audio Stream IP/URL
*Language of Broadcast
Bandwidth Kbps (numeric value only)
Once you have completed your spreadsheet with all of the above required information, you are a step closer to having your station listed on iTunes.
Save your Excel sheet and navigate to the following location: https://support.itunesinternetradio.com. Scroll down until you find “Submit a Request” and choose “Submit My Station” from the drop-down. Complete the rest of the form and upload the Excel file you created along with your logo(s) into their Attachments box and click Submit.
- – You will not be listed on iTunes or even have your request reviewed if you do not submit via the Excel spreadsheet provided with no modifications. All fields are mandatory.
- One row per station only.
- Submissions rely on precise metadata therefore typos will be rejected automatically.
Here are a few examples of station descriptions that will result in an automatic rejection:
- The BEST Hits On The Air E V E R !!
- Beat Central –> Broadcasting Your Favorite Tunes !
- STREAMING HARDCORE HOUSE **24/7**
- your official party station playing NON stop jams
Here is how the above stations should read in order to be considered for approval:
– The best hits on the air ever!!
– Beat Central, broadcasting your favorite tunes!
– Streaming hardcore house 24/7
– Your official party station playing non stop jams
Station update requests must contain the following information:
- Station name (this MUST be the name as it exists in iTunes)
- Contact person name, email and phone number
- The specific update you’d like us to make ONLY (do not resubmit information that is remaining unchanged)
Please ensure that your station stream works properly in iTunes:
* Open iTunes
* Select ‘Open Stream’ from the ‘File’ menu
* Enter your audio stream URL
iTunes does not guarantee specific times of updates, station addition or station maintenance.
Additions and changes may only be made to the directory included with iTunes 11. No changes can be made to older versions of iTunes. If you do not see your station, first ensure you are using the latest available version of iTunes, available here: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Please allow up to 5 business days for your station to be added before inquiring about its status.
Please note that CastHost does not make any guarantees about your stream being listed. This is just a guide on how to start the process and hopefully get listed on iTunes.
Ready to create your account and and join our community? Click here to get registered.
If you would like more directories that can help your station prosper, click here.